Avanti Rectangular Pizza Stone
Avanti’s rectangular pizza stone allows you to make authentic stone baked pizzas in your own home. Enjoy a crisp pizza base every time, whether you are using a domestic indoor or outdoor oven.
Why use a pizza stone?
The pizza stone (also known as a baking stone) is made from kiln fired clay, which is heat retaining and absorbs excess moisture. Importantly, the stone also distributes heat evenly. All of this means that when you cook pizza in the oven, it will always have a light crispy crust, just like an authentic brick pizza oven.
Avanti’s rectangular pizza stone comes with sturdy stainless steel handles, so you can carry it easily and safely.
How to use a pizza stone?
Avanti have provided easy to follow instructions for those using their rectangular pizza stone.
- Place the stone in middle of your oven, on the lowest rack. Pre-heat at 260°C for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the baking stone is heating, prepare your pizza.
- When the stone is heated and it is time to bake, pull out the oven rack with the pizza stone. Dust stone surface with cornmeal or semolina flour to prevent pizza from sticking. Alternatively baking paper can be used.
- A flat metal spatula or a pizza peel dusted with cornmeal works well for transferring food to the heated baking stone.
- Bake pizza at 200°C for 20-30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Time and oven temperature will vary due to oven and amount of toppings used.
Pizza stone (or baking stone) uses
Although it is commonly called a pizza stone, this is a very versatile piece of baking equipment. For that reason, it is also referred to as baking stone. It can be used to:
- Create authentic stone baked pizzas
- Make crusty bread at home
- Bake cookies and tortillas with a crunch
- Reheat bakes, such as frozen pasties and pies
How do you clean a pizza stone?
- Scrape off food residue with a dry cloth or spatula
- Once cool, run under hot water while lightly scrubbing the cooking surface with a brush and rinse
- Do not use detergent as it will absorb into the porous surface of the pizza stone, and can impart a soapy after taste to food when next used
- Air-dry the stone
- Allow baking stone to dry completely before using again